Mutton Curry Dish with Potato
Serve this spicy dish with some rice and sambals.
- 30-45ml (2-3 tbsp) oil
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 star anise, broken up
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10ml (2 tsp) fennel seeds
- 5-7 curry leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) crushed garlic
- 15ml (1 tbsp) crushed ginger
- 60-75ml (4-5 tbsp) mixed masala spice
- 1kg lamb shoulder, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 60ml (4 tbsp) tomato purée
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- Hot water, as needed
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add the whole spices and allow them to crackle for a few minutes to release the lovely aroma and flavour.
- Add the curry leaves, onion, garlic and ginger and stir-fry until the onions soften.
- Stir in the masala and add the meat. Season with salt and mix to combine. Reduce the heat and cook until the meat juices are released.
- When the meat is well braised and the oil separates, add tomato purée, potatoes and enough water to cover. Cover with a lid and cook until the potatoes are tender and the gravy reduced and thickened. Garnish with coriander and serve with ghee-fried rice.